In my estimation people, as people, fall in to two camps: those who fantasize about living in the world of the Jetsons and those that wish they were neighbors with the Flintstones.
I, myself, am a Flintstone girl. If you know that I was an archaeology major, that’s probably obvious. Or maybe it’s not so obvious if you also know that I’m a total geek* (*geek: a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc. I programmed my Tivo in UNDER the 3 hour estimate. That’s right, whatup. )
That being said, if I had my choice between living during the dawning age of Man and living in the future, I would absolutely choose the former. Even if I wouldn’t have email. Or reality TV. Or walls.
If you’ve ever read Clan of the Cave Bear, you know there is something intoxicatingly romantic* about hunting on the grassy steppes of Western Europe and residing in a cave (*romantic: one who lives as if in a novel). No? Not so romantic to you? Well neither is being able to control the weather with a switch.
As much as I love the internet, it’s disheartening to come up with a totally original idea only to have your pride shattered with one Google search. More and more, it seems there is nothing new under the sun. Of course, I know this not to be true, but I just have no real desire to live in a world that makes it easier and easier to never leave your couch (I’m talking to YOU, Comcast triple play feature that announces your phone calls on the TV screen so you DON’T HAVE TO MOVE YOUR HEAD).
Yes, I’m well aware that post-post-postmodernism isn’t necessarily synonymous with “lazy,” but when you really think about what all you can accomplish with just your PHONE, it’s just not as exciting as the thought of creating, you know, everything.
What’s ironic, however, (vis-à-vis myself), is that mankind is pre-wired to create. So even if I found myself hobnobbing with Creb and Moonbear, you can bet your knickers I’d be the first to come up with tools. Or beds. Or toilets.
Of course, there are definite downsides to Ice Age living – for example, my bear phobia would probably be tested in ways that make me pee myself just thinking about the possibilities. And it’s true that as much as I love to camp, I LoooovVVVEeee to come home, shower, put on pajamas I didn’t weave myself and order take-out……..so….maybe I just don’t know where I belong. Maybe I just want to be a construction worker.
But I digress.
Here’s a quick test to figure out which you might be, if you don’t already know:
You Might be a Flintstone If:
• The aftermath of a nuclear holocaust (minus all the charred skin, radiation poisoning, not being able to live above ground for 50 years and cannibalism) actually sounds thrilling to you.
• The aftermath of a nuclear holocaust (minus all the charred skin, radiation poisoning, not being able to live above ground for 50 years and cannibalism) actually sounds thrilling to you.
• A pet dinosaur sounds WAY more awesome than a robotic dog.
• You cried during Avatar and dreamt that night about connecting to the trees with your long, magic braid.
• When you talk to animals, a not so small part of you expects a response.
• You think scars (from lion fights) are cool.
• You’ve ever desired to hunt and/or gather
• Solitary confinement isn’t considered punishment to you, but relief.
• A man riding bareback with a pelt of some sort slung over his shoulder is hoootttt.
• When you drive past huge expanses of field on the interstate it takes all your willpower not to pull over and run through it, letting the leafy arms of corn stalks whip against your face as you spin and twirl about.
You Might be a Jetson If:
• A home with concrete walls, cork floors and windows in shapes other than rectangles gives you the good shivers.
• You would kill to live in the Matrix with your Surrogate hunting replicants* (*replicants: human clones used to serve in the colonies outside Earth but with fixed life spans).
• You aren’t scared of living in the sky.
• Frank Geary’s “method” of creating “art” and/or actual structures by crumpling a piece of paper and throwing it on the floor really “speaks to you.”
• You’re already signed up for Comcast’s triple play package.
• The homes in Dwell actually look cozy.
• A man with body parts that aren’t all human is hoooootttt.
• Your favorite colors are black and gray.
So – which are you?







5 comments:
Caroline,
This was a fantastic read! May I suggest, however, that you post your blogs all at once rather than in "coming soon" installments. You see, some of us set up blogs in RSS feed readers and once something is posted and viewed, it is marked as read. I would have completely missed out on this had I not accidentally looked over some of yesterday's read feeds. [that part was meant to be facetious, since this was about technology and all..]
Anyway, this was interesting to me though. I suspect that men have a hard time picking between the two. Think about flintstone attributes. Total man shit, right? I love the woods and would kill to have a pet bear and/or eagle. But technology and gadgets? I can tell you, from working in the CE industry and having attended the CES show last month that this segment of society is driven by males.
I don't know what point I'm trying to get to here, but I wonder if your tomboy-ness was the muse for this particular post.
Ahh yes, see, the only reason I did that is cause I didn't think anyone read this....and on the off chance they DID read it, I wanted them to know that I hadn't abandoned it. Uhh, that made no sense.
You make an excellent point about dudes. And I, myself, fit into both. However, I would much rather LIVE like they do in the Flintstones....but if i could still have email and a microwave that'd be SA-WEET.
Thanks for reading, buddy ;-)
Flintstones - totally. Humming the theme song now. ..."through the courtesy of Fred's two feet. When you're with the Flintsones..."
Loved the horn telephone, the gigantic rock necklaces Wilma and Betty wore, and the drive-in! Heck, husband and I went as Fred and Wilma to a Halloween party one year. Me, bare-footed with rock necklace, ankle bracelet and a bone in my hair - husband in animal skin dress, tie and Water Buffalo hat, complete with horns! Youngest dressed as Bam-Bam...we were sitting for the Rubbles.
Tell me, is this why I love the Olympic sport of Curling so much? I can see Wilma now - sliding that big rock down the ice and Betty sweeping madly with her pre-historic broom!
OMG... I am such a Jetson... no contest. being barefoot all day is not cool. neither is wearing that much fur.
FUN post!!! I'm a total Jetson.
But I would want to have a "vintage" record player in my house in the sky that operates with a bird's beak.
Post a Comment